- 2L premade tabeekh base – read recipe
- 1-1.5L chopped tomatoes – blended
- 4 tablespoon tomato puree/paste
- 500-800g white haricot beans – precooked/tinned
- salt and pepper – to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 3-4 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 lime – quartered
- Place the prepared tabeekh base on medium heat, add blended tomatoes, tomato puree/paste and mix together.
- Add cooked white haricot beans or tinned haricot beans and leave covered on a low heat for 20mins.
- Season with salt, pepper, ground coriander and crushed garlic. Mix together then taste and balance accordingly.
- Serve with a lime squeeze.
- Butter beans can also be used if you would prefer to use a larger bean rather than the relatively small haricot bean
- Green haricot beans or mixed beans can be used instead of white haricot beans.
- Chopped green and red pepper can be added with the blended tomatoes
- If using uncooked haricot beans, the beans must be cooked in warm water for 45min-1hour before adding to the tabeekh base. Tinned baked beans are an easier and faster option as they are precooked and so can be added as soon as the tabeekh base is warm making the dish ready in a matter of minutes.
- If you really like beans and want to make a mixed bean stew, use a mixture of butter beans and smaller mixed beans, to the ratio: 1 part mixed beans to every 2 parts butter.