Fried aubergine slices in a yoghurt sauce infused with garlic, lime and ground cumin. a.k.a Salatat Aswad
- 2 aubergine – peeled
- 1L oil – for frying
- 500g of thick yoghurt
- 1 lime/lemon – juiced
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves – crushed
- Salt and pepper – to taste
Frying the aubergine:
Slice the peeled the aubergine into 1cm thick circular slices and arrange on a tray of kitchen towels. Take fresh kitchen towels and press each aubergine slice in between kitchen towels to remove any excess water before frying.
Deep-fry the slices on both sides until golden-brown to brown then place in a sieve to remove excess oil. Dry the slices on kitchen towels and lightly season with salt.
Yoghurt dressing instructions:
Pour thick yoghurt into a large bowl and mix in; lime juice, vinegar, crushed garlic, olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Taste the dressing then balance accordingly using any of the previous ingredients then gently fold in the fried aubergine slices. Garnish with ground cumin and olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter added to the yoghurt
- Garnish with fresh parsley, coriander, thyme, chives or cumin seeds, sesame seeds or oil.
- Fry a peeled aubergine cut into large pieces and semi-mash with dressing: lime juice, vinegar, crushed garlic salt, yoghurt, peanut butter
- Salt the surface of the aubergine slices for 10 to 20 minutes to draw out water as well as any bitterness from the final taste. Wipe off before frying.
- Season freshly fried aubergine ( with salt, pepper, garlic, lime juice, herbs) then place in a sealable container for 5 to 7 minutes to sweat into a softer texture.
Note: Alternative dressings for this salad include a grated red onion and tomato vinaigrette, and spicy peanut dip dressing and are both vegan.
Red onion and tomato vinaigrette dressing ingredients:
- 2 tomatoes – finely chopped
- 1 small red or spring onion – ½ finely chopped and ½ grated
- 1 green pepper – ½ finely chopped and ½ grated
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 lime – juiced
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- salt and pepper – to taste
- 2 large aubergine – peeled, dried and fried
Alternative dressing instructions:
Mix together all the ingredients to a mixing bowl except the fried aubergines. Gently fold in the fried aubergines and leave semi-covered for 30 minutes to 1 hour for the aubergines to soak into the dressing before serving.
- Use 200ml spicy peanut dip, shutat dakwa, as a dressing and add 2 tablespoons ginger juice or lime juice, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1 crushed garlic clove.
- Warm 1 to 2 tablespoons tomato paste in a pan then add to the dressing
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped cucumber adds a subtle freshness
- 100 to 200g diced or crumbled feta cheeseadded to the salad
- Salt the freshly cut aubergine slices and cover with a cloth for 2 minutes, then ripe with kitchen towels and discard. This removes the bitter taste associated with aubergines.
- Season the fried aubergine with salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic, green pepper then leave in a sealable container for 4 to 8 minutes to sweat into a soft texture.